The Rainbow Campaign

Guest Perry

Would it be wrong for me to say that the only problem people have with a gay character is that they feel it won't be done properly? There is no reason- due to the timeslot and rating Home and Away has that they can't have a gay relationship in the same way that there are straight relationships. Maybe people should be writing that in their letters with the rainbows. ^_^

That is actually my problem: I suggested in another thread on this topic that a Lana Crawford-esque storyline would be a good idea for HAA but in my experience, any time that HAA and Neighbours do the same type of storyline, HAA are more likely to screw it up.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sexual tension between Aden and Geoff is plain to see especially on Aden's side(he totally wants Geoff which is why he hates him so much), moreso than it ever was between Lucas and Ric. I love the idea of a regular gay(or lesbian or bi) character, however the cast is quite small compared to most other soaps so it would limit the number of potential partners for a gay character. I think Hollyoaks has pulled it off expertly with John-Paul, and Home and Away could do the same easily if there were a larger cast. IF Aden and Geoff were to start a relationship the main problem that would arise is the fact that with the number of upcoming departures -

Lucas, Ric, Drew - we would be left with the only two male teen characters dating each other, so what would all the girls do?

. The small size of the cast has presented problems in other areas not relatin to this issue, for example Martha's lack of proper friendships since Tasha's departure. I just think a gay character could be introduced and would fit into the Bay perfectly (I imagine Colleen would be the only one who has a problem with it) and the audience would accept them, but the only real hurdle is the small cast. This was mentioned on the official site during the time Mattie's ex Dean was in the show, a fan asked if he would be permanent and the reply was that a gay character couldn't become permanent because of the limited number of potential love interests.

Haha, love the point you're making in your spoiler! :lol:

I can see the Aden/Geoff tension now, it's really obvious. I didn't see it before but that's probably because it was overshadowed by the extremely intese and explosive sexual tension between Geoff as Lucas. I truly believe those two would have made the perfect couple.

I can definitely imagine Aden and Geoff together though, I think they would make a good couple, especially because they're so different.

And we all know that deep inside Aden is just another scared, insecure, sad and lonely boy waiting for that special person who can wipe away his tears and tell him it's okay (that would be Geoff), right? :P

Well one thing is for sure; they threw away Robbie who had great potential for a storyline like this, damned if they throw away Geoff's potential as well.

I do still think it would turn viwers off though, the ratings would suffer. I just think they would. I dont think they would áccept them' as easily as that..,I'm talking about the millions that watch and dont discuss it on a forum.

I reckon the ratings would shoot through the roof. Can you imagine - take the two hot teen heart throbs and have them get it ooon, instead of introducing them to the usual pretty blonde. There'd be uproar and people would totally be tuning in :D

I do still think it would turn viwers off though, the ratings would suffer. I just think they would. I dont think they would áccept them' as easily as that..,I'm talking about the millions that watch and dont discuss it on a forum.

But that is what you think other people would do... The point of this campaign is to show how much support there is for a gay regular, if everyone says "Well I think alot of viewers won't like that idea" it does nothing as nobody is showing what they want- just what they think others want.

Look at how popular Noah and Luke became when "As the world turns" introduced that couple (I've just started watching the storyline :P)

You get heaps of fansites if you google "Luke and Noah" and they seem like one of the favourite couples, and after watching that storyline I'm convinced that Home&Away could pull something like that off. It's doesn't require a perfect storyline that is the most original thing ever, it basically requires a standard love storyline. A normal, good storyline is all it takes.

Archived