Viewing Figures

Guest -Kevin-

I was just wondering about H&A's viewing figures. Correct me if I'm wrong but Home & Away gets just over 1 million viewers each day. Isnt that low for such a big country ?

In the UK shows like Eastenders,Coronation Street can sometimes even get over 10 million and isnt the UK a lot smaller than Australia.

Maybe its just that the UK is very populated.....Maybe Australia propably doesn't have as many people as the UK...

I would be inclined to disagree that just over a million is low for prime-time in Oz. From looking at the recent ratings figures H and A usually gets between 1.1 and 1.2 million a day.

The UK's population is about 3 times bigger than Australia's, plus the English population are a more keen tv-viewing nation. Also, it seems as though the soap operas in Enland are more popular than they are in Oz, the Australians seem to be embarrassed by their soapies when they shouldn't be.

Compared to Neighbours, H and A does brilliantly (well in Oz). Neighbours has been rating between 600 and 700,000 in the last few weeks, but has even got as low as 500,000's which is shocking. :o The australians seem as though they can't accept Neighbours, but in the UK Neighbours does far better than Home and Away. Which is why Ten keep Neighbours because they get a huge amount of funding from Channel Five.

Compared to Neighbours, H and A does brilliantly (well in Oz).

It must be concerning though... now that the show is losing out regularly to 2.5 men in the 7 pm slot...

In fact the show has been declining, ratings-wise, since Sally left...

Hopefully, TPTB will try to arrest this, with an overhaul next year...

Compared to Neighbours, H and A does brilliantly (well in Oz).

It must be concerning though... now that the show is losing out regularly to 2.5 men in the 7 pm slot...

In fact the show has been declining, ratings-wise, since Sally left...

Hopefully, TPTB will try to arrest this, with an overhaul next year...

But the viewing figures are good, I don't see what the problem is... ? :huh:

Australia is a huge country, but as Edward Skylover pointed out, the UK has around 60 million people whereas Australia only have 20 million people. Ironically you can fit the UK in Australia 30 times I think it is, so the UK has that many people in such a small country but Australia has such a huge expanse where it is pretty much inhabitable, the desert.

Even television ratings at peak prime time such as 8.30/9.30 rarely go above 2 million, so anything above 1 million at 7pm is acceptable I should think. Neighbours used to get the same kinda ratings as H&A did during the 80'/90's then became a steady 950K until around 2005 where it has remained at 750K on average.

The UK's population is about 3 times bigger than Australia's, plus the English population are a more keen tv-viewing nation. Also, it seems as though the soap operas in England are more popular than they are in Oz, the Australians seem to be embarrassed by their soapies when they shouldn't be.

When you say England do you mean the UK? (Scotland, England, Wales, N-Ireland) :ph34r:

I also have to disagree with you on that one. As a brit, I actually find the aus soaps 10x better then to the likes of Corrie, Eastenders, Emerdale etc...

I just find that Home and Away is aimed at all ages and has more variety, were as these ones don't. The only soap I'll vouch for is Hollyoaks, however this still isn't aimed at all audiences, the oldest person in it is probably Jack who's about 50? :blink:

But I will agree that in Britain because of the dull weather we are a more TV veiwing nation in general. :lol:

The UK's population is about 3 times bigger than Australia's, plus the English population are a more keen tv-viewing nation. Also, it seems as though the soap operas in England are more popular than they are in Oz, the Australians seem to be embarrassed by their soapies when they shouldn't be.

When you say England do you mean the UK? (Scotland, England, Wales, N-Ireland) :ph34r:

I also have to disagree with you on that one. As a brit, I actually find the aus soaps 10x better then to the likes of Corrie, Eastenders, Emerdale etc...

I just find that Home and Away is aimed at all ages and has more variety, were as these ones don't. The only soap I'll vouch for is Hollyoaks, however this still isn't aimed at all audiences, the oldest person in it is probably Jack who's about 50? :blink:

But I will agree that in Britain because of the dull weather we are a more TV veiwing nation in general. :lol:

I think you misunderstood what I said. I meant that the UK are more of a soap-opera-watching nation than Australia are. If you consider that in the UK we have EE, Hollyoaks, Corrie, Emmerdale, H and A, Neighbours etc. etc. and they all rate fairly well, whereas the Australians seem to prefer trashy American shows to their homegrown soaps. That was what I was getting at!

But actually, the UK soaps are more popular than the Oz soaps in England. Neighbours and H and A get about 3 million a day in the UK, whereas EastEnders and Corrie get about ten mill. Obviously the network has a bearing on things though.

I can't agree with you about Hollyoaks, it's an awfully shallow show with terrible actors!

I think you misunderstood what I said. I meant that the UK are more of a soap-opera-watching nation than Australia are. If you consider that in the UK we have EE, Hollyoaks, Corrie, Emmerdale, H and A, Neighbours etc. etc. and they all rate fairly well, whereas the Australians seem to prefer trashy American shows to their homegrown soaps. That was what I was getting at!

But actually, the UK soaps are more popular than the Oz soaps in England. Neighbours and H and A get about 3 million a day in the UK, whereas EastEnders and Corrie get about ten mill. Obviously the network has a bearing on things though.

I can't agree with you about Hollyoaks, it's an awfully shallow show with terrible actors!

Yeah definitely.

I was actually quite shocked to see someone saying that Hollyoaks is the best british show :lol: I have never seen such rubbish.The characters .The actors are rubbish.The storylines are rubbish. Everythings rubbish. It was brilliant back in 2006/2007 but now it just doesn't hold my interest. Eastenders is the UK soap to watch. It may be dreary but hey its got fantastic writing,fantastic characters and amazing storylines. No wonder it wins best soap almost every year.

I find the UK soaps a lot more compelling to watch than the Australian ones. Neighbours just isn't really worth mentioning , although I do love H&A it has gone down a lot in my estimations this year. In fact actually like devon said the show hasn't has as good ratings since Sally left the show and I myself noticed the drop in quality since her final episode.

There is nothing I would love more than to see Sally make a return!!

Neighbours just isn't really worth mentioning

What makes you say that?

What I don't get, is that the Australians tend to have some kind of aversion to Neighbours and love Home and Away (bearing in mind I don't know your origins) but it seems to me as though the Australians care more about high-drama und melodrama than actual character-driven plots, which IMO is what Neighbours excels at. For the most part, I would say that Neighbours' 2009 season has been better than Home and Away's 2009 season; there might not be a lot happening in the show but you can relate to the characters and there is a sense of history. I think that's why Neighbours is much more popular in the UK than H and A is, because it focuses on its history much more while H and A seems like a new show a lot of the time. Its long-term characters are sidelined and only used when they have to be, whereas Neighbours' long-term characters are at the centre of the action most of the time.

Neighbours has Lou, Karl, Susan, Libby, Paul, Lyn, Steph and Toadie who have all been there for longer than 10 years, while H and A only has Alf, Irene and Colleen. :blink: (I know Leah's been there a while, but 9 years and she doesn't do anything anyway!)

Sorry to get irate, I just don't see what the problem is that the Australians have with Neighbours, it's a national institution and something that you associate with the country, it should be proud of it, not constantly putting it down!

Archived