Left Behind (by Jen) - comments

Its kind of sad that April is starting to move on It's quite quick but I'm guessing its only a kiss at the moment. I do see why April is moving on not sure I like it though

Sasha and Dex were sweet together again.

It was probably a good thing Sid wasn't at home when Dex and Sasha got back :lol:

OUTSTANDING chapter .....full of great emotions and use of language !!!!

Especailly loved .....

And as three siblings, Sasha always thought nothing would break them; a three-chord strand that’s perfectly in tune or a tripod that could stand firm on anything. Now, she’s not so sure.

“If I could do that stuff on the list then I – I wouldn’t be that sick kid anymore. But this isn’t going away, is it?”

“You know those moments when you actually worry about the future of humanity? I had a student come up to me today and ask whether you could have a set of identical twins that wasn’t two boys or two girls. Like, she genuinely wanted to know if you could have a boy and girl and be identical twins. All I kept thinking was, you are studying to be a doctor, and you could be operating on someone’s brain one day. That worries me, and you aren’t really listening to me, are you?”

“Seriously, stop,” April says, much more angrily than she intended. She steps out of her sister’s grasp and Bianca looks a little stunned. “Sorry. I’m just – this isn’t a big deal. I don’t want it to be a big deal.”

Bianca holds up her hands in surrender. “Okay, not a big deal.”

"Thank you.”

She isn’t used to this: being social. Being around people who don’t know her every intimate detail. They don’t know Dex, their history, or how she copes when everything becomes too much. People come up to her, guys and girls she recognizes vaguely from some of her classes, and ask her how she’s going, just because that’s what you do at a party, not because you have some hidden agenda.

Edited by JosieTash

You know when you write something and you're thinking, 'yes, this is good, this is the right decision,' and then all of a sudden you stop and re-read it and you think 'OH GOD JUST RE-WRITE IT ALL IT'S TERRIBLE WHAT WERE YOU THINKING WHEN YOU DECIDED TO DO THIS?!?!' Well, I've just experienced it. The hardest part is that I wrote these chapters so long ago, but I've been proofing them and re-reading before I post, but it's the first time I've re-read them with your feedback and comments in my head, so now I'm second guessing everything.

I'm not looking for people to pat me on the head and say there, there, I'm sure it's fine, because that's not it at all. But I'm just letting you know there are only 2 more chapters to go to the end.

I adore reading people's reactions and comments, and what you think of the characters really means the most. I almost wish I was one of those writers who wouldn't pre-write stuff to only post once it was done, because then I could really take on board what you are saying. On the other hand, I don't necessarily do neat endings that tie everything up in a pretty bow. But I want my stories to seem authentic and genuine. If they do that, then I feel like I've done something right.

As far as April is concerned, Dex has forced her to make the decision she didn't really want to make. Dex isn't sure whether he's going to be around, so he's trying to think of April. He only wants to put her first - that's all he ever wants to do, really - so if that doesn't tell you where his feelings lie then I don't know what will.

I wish there were more fics in the world where Dex and Sasha were just awesome siblings who got up to shenanigans behind their dad's back, but also were each other's wingmen (or women) when things got tough.

• Like 1

I'm tempted to say "There, there, I'm sure it's fine" at this point or maybe offer something a bit more constructive.I remember the first story I posted on this site had a review on the first chapter (the second one thankfully, if it had been the first review I'd probably have jumped out a window there and then) which was along the lines of "That was good but it should have been more like this" and proceeded to rewrite a section in a way that had me going "Oh god, I can never write like that, I'm a fraud, what am I doing here?" for several minutes before calming down and going "You know what? I can't write like that but I can write like me, so I'll go on doing that."

I can either pre-write or post as I go but have the framework worked out beforehand and I was surprised when people's comments started influencing me and changing the emphasis a bit even if the overall plot didn't change.While there's pleasure in having other people enjoy something you've written, I do think a story is first and foremost written by the writer for the writer, and other people liking it is just a bonus, albeit a huge one.It's a balancing act between recognising what others like and building on that, and staying true to the story you conceived even if it's not going to make you popular.

• Like 1

Further to what Red Ranger 1 said, I know that I only very occaionally devaite, based on feedback, from my [pre-scripted or otherwise] plan for my fics. I also know that, as I'd befreinded a number of people on this site before i posted my 1st fic here, that there would be a soft landing [as it were] for my work .....with the bonus or others [unknown to me] who liked what i wrote as well. It's also handy, and VERY apprecaited, thate ther are several people who always comment on my fics.

While there's pleasure in having other people enjoy something you've written, I do think a story is first and foremost written by the writer for the writer, and other people liking it is just a bonus, albeit a huge one.It's a balancing act between recognising what others like and building on that, and staying true to the story you conceived even if it's not going to make you popular.

Oh wow. This is somehow exactly what I needed to hear/see. It's not a case of 'not caring' what other people think - which I'm terrified people will assume - but being grateful that there is anyone reading this little story at all. I started writing this because ... well, Dex, and my adoration of Dex/April and how much I like angst and drawn out endings and unconventional getting-back-togethers, and I've re-read the penultimate chapter now and it's like, "Well, I can't do anything about it now."

I also know that, as I'd befreinded a number of people on this site before i posted my 1st fic here, that there would be a soft landing [as it were] for my work .....with the bonus or others [unknown to me] who liked what i wrote as well. It's also handy, and VERY apprecaited, thate ther are several people who always comment on my fics.

You won't know how much I appreciate your comments. That I can put names to the things that you say and know that you are going to be supportive and offer suggestions because you genuinely care (I hope) about how the story turns out. I know my first fic was terrible - complete with Mary Jane OCs and basically writing as though I wanted to be on the show, which thankfully, is no longer the case. I want to get better. That's my main driving force now. To be better than I was when I started and continue to improve so that as much as I enjoy my stories, to find other people who like them too. You guys are the ones who I post for - and the reason why it is sometimes so long between me creating new stuff. Because I want it to be good for you.

Just keep on writing Jen you have a real talent for it

*blushes ferociously* I don't think you have to worry. I have way to many half-finished ideas and fics that I'm not willing to let them just die. (Incidentally, would any of you be interested in a fic where Dex and April are housemates except April is totally Out Of Bounds on account of over-protective Xavier and Casey who also share the house with them? And Dex is all first-year uni and unsure of himself but is desperately pining for any scrap of attention April will give him. Or, superheroes. Those are my two current unfinished ideas.)

• Like 3

Glad Casey got through to Dex and was the only person he wanted to talk to about April and not Sid but I feel kind of sorry for Sid I know this is coming to end but I hope Dex gets April back I look forward to more update again soon :)