Storylines that didn't age well

project90

Been watching 89/90 and just noticed some things that didn't age very well over last 30 plus years. 

The storyline where Martin girlfriend just came and got taken by her ex bikey boyfriend and was last ever heard of her.

And in general lot of the guys outlook on girls and expectations of them waiting on them and doing all the housework.

And I'm really amazed at how often the word bitch gets used in the early years didn't think a family show in that era would get away with it.

Going ahead a little in time but how they glorified Kane and Kirsty love as star cross lovers against the wolrd. No way they'd get away with that today 

What some other storylines or aspects that you can think of

• Like 1

Today's PC climate makes a lot of things hard to get away with "today". Everyone is being offended all the time.

I am surprised about the usage of the word "bitch" but I let sleeping dogs lie because otherwise it would stir up more calls for censorship. Same as when Lizzie Birdsworth said the nosey next-door neighbour in Prisoner was the "n**ger in the woodpile", now that "n**ger" is the 2nd most offensive word besides "c***" under today's regime. 

11 hours ago, cymbaline said:

Jack winding up Michael by pretending he liked wearing women's clothes. 

1994 still harboured some old-ass prejudices (racism and homophobia were still pretty high) Summer Bay was (still is) a small backwater town that probably didn't get the Internet yet.

I can't think of any other specific examples just now but you're not wrong about that. 

I was surprised to hear Pippa telling Sally she wasn't too old to get a "good whack around the backside" in the episode after she comes back from her overnight camping trip with Michael. I didn't think parents hitting their kids was still a thing. Maybe it is? 

Also in that era, we had Alan Stone (alcoholic deputy principal at the school) bringing back caning. 

31 minutes ago, cymbaline said:

I was surprised to hear Pippa telling Sally she wasn't too old to get a "good whack around the backside" in the episode after she comes back from her overnight camping trip with Michael. I didn't think parents hitting their kids was still a thing. Maybe it is? 

when my sisters and i were young in the 80s and 90s yes it was, that episode was in 1991 i don't remember smacking being frowned upon until the late 00s

2 hours ago, cymbaline said:

Matt fell out with Adam and Marilyn over a high phone bill that came in. These days you'd have to go out of your way to run up a high phone bill. 

Marilyn could Flamin' talk for Australia!?

Plus Adam was probably doing some wheeler dealing and accepting Reverse charges from mates up the coast.

4 hours ago, cymbaline said:

I can't think of any other specific examples just now but you're not wrong about that. 

Also in that era, we had Alan Stone (alcoholic deputy principal at the school) bringing back caning. 

Alf said that Roo, all of 17, wasn't too old to go over his knee at at one point.

• Haha 1