Storylines that didn't age well

project90

12 hours ago, nenehcherry2 said:

Greg & Fiona was the only one I know of pre-2000 in the married sense. It was implied that they'd slept together a couple of times.

And, unmarried wise, Ryan & Loo.

I personally don't see Roo/Frank as an affair. They realised that they were still in love (after he'd already started to conclude that he didn't love Bobby after all), had one kiss in the office (raises eyebrows like that annoying presenter on the 2000 episodes special video)

Presenter was Emma Lee. Wonder whatever happened to her? (Too lazy to IMDB/Google her tonight lol)

Greg/Fiona was disgusting, not only cheating but in his own FIL's house, FFS. (We know they were testing out Don's work surfaces et al!)

• Like 1

It was on-brand for Greg who didn't have much strength of character. He had already let Sam and Sam's mother down back in the day. After Bobby died he didn't wait very long before he cleared off again, leaving Sam with a man who wasn't even related to him. Then when he finally resurfaced, asking Sam to move in with him, he still didn't have an awful lot to offer him. 

After Bobby found out about his affair she chucked him out on his ear. What was very odd was people urging her to take Greg back. Other than the risk of losing Sam again (had she adopted him?), what did she have to gain by taking him back? It all felt very 1950s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cymbaline said:

It was on-brand for Greg who didn't have much strength of character. He had already let Sam and Sam's mother down back in the day. After Bobby died he didn't wait very long before he cleared off again, leaving Sam with a man who wasn't even related to him. Then when he finally resurfaced, asking Sam to move in with him, he still didn't have an awful lot to offer him. 

After Bobby found out about his affair she chucked him out on his ear. What was very odd was people urging her to take Greg back. Other than the risk of losing Sam again (had she adopted him?), what did she have to gain by taking him back? It all felt very 1950s.

Was never a fan of Greg.  Found him to be quite an unlikable character who took bobby for granted.  Was so hoping when Frank turned up they would get back together and be written into the storyline to continue…

14 hours ago, cymbaline said:

After Bobby found out about his affair she chucked him out on his ear. What was very odd was people urging her to take Greg back. Other than the risk of losing Sam again (had she adopted him?), what did she have to gain by taking him back? It all felt very 1950s

Other than Don saying "I could give you a good bloody nose for what you've done!" in the initial aftermath, there was little reaction to his behaviour other than from Bobby & Tug. Even Alf didn't flip (yet he threw out Fiona from the Store, as if it doesn't take two to tango). So you have everyone from Pippa, Adam, Nick, Ailsa, Don and Alf calling out Bob for being stubborn in not taking him back without calling him out for making her so angry! 

And Nick's hypocrisy at covering for Greg has always bugged me. Given his longer friendship with Bobby and what he'd been through with the Loo & Ryan, she was too right to blow up at him over that.

8 hours ago, early years fan said:

Was never a fan of Greg.  Found him to be quite an unlikable character who took bobby for granted.  Was so hoping when Frank turned up they would get back together and be written into the storyline to continue…

I never liked Frank either. I think Bobby was too good for both of them and I much preferred her character single. Like Irene, she suited being single and independent.

4 hours ago, nenehcherry2 said:

Other than Don saying "I could give you a good bloody nose for what you've done!" in the initial aftermath, there was little reaction to his behaviour other than from Bobby & Tug. Even Alf didn't flip (yet he threw out Fiona from the Store, as if it doesn't take two to tango). So you have everyone from Pippa, Adam, Nick, Ailsa, Don and Alf calling out Bob for being stubborn in not taking him back without calling him out for making her so angry! 

And Nick's hypocrisy at covering for Greg has always bugged me. Given his longer friendship with Bobby and what he'd been through with the Loo & Ryan, she was too right to blow up at him over that.

I never liked Frank either. I think Bobby was too good for both of them and I much preferred her character single. Like Irene, she suited being single and independent.

Bit Rich from Don who did the deed with Morag (wasn't all one way traffic) but I suppsoe he had to stand by his daughter.

Also, Most soap Towns/Streets/Villages are often hypocritical and in backwaters like Summer Bay...

As for Irene, I still think and she and Ken could have gone the distance (Realistically there'd be the odd wobble both having issues with the bottle)

19 hours ago, cymbaline said:

They wanted to lull us into a false sense of security by having everything be "rosy" before the boat trip. And in Greg's (wafer thin) defence, He and Jackie WERE kids when they had Sam (parallels of Joe/Noeline/Toby on Neighbours)

1 hour ago, CaptainHulk said:

They wanted to lull us into a false sense of security by having everything be "rosy" before the boat trip. And in Greg's (wafer thin) defence, He and Jackie WERE kids when they had Sam (parallels of Joe/Noeline/Toby on Neighbours)

In hindsight that false sense of security doesn't hold up well at all. We now know that Greg didn't stick around for long after Bobby died and it's easy to think of other ways she could have been written out. 

You could cut Greg a bit of slack re. walking out on Jackie and Sam if it wasn't for him repeating that behaviour. Even when he came back in 2000 to ask Sam to move in with him, it was a bit wishy washy. He had met someone else but was still working as a long-distance truck driver. He'd still be away a lot, leaving Sam to try and get used to living with yet another family of sorts. 

• Like 1

^ Bobby being a battler *wouldn't* go *quietly*, so no car exit for her. Nicole liked the fame and the money but she was liked "I've  been doing this for 6yrs and enough is enough" wanted to be a parent to her boys  and a character like Bobby would be remembered as long as Don, Ailsa and Sam were around.

And like Elaine Smith on Neighbours Nicolle didn't want to be a series lifer and was only in her 20s.

Greg lost a lot of sympathy with his hatred toward Adam (who WAS at fault, but still)

Killing her off was a bit much. It would've made equal sense for Bobby to re-evaluate her life and decide to start again elsewhere. She was smart as a button and could easily have gone on to university. Bobby taking stock of her life, selling her share in the diner and moving away to do something different with her life would've made sense. Or she and Greg could've moved away with Sam to start again elsewhere. Of course, we'd have been denied that notorious fridge scene. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cymbaline said:

Killing her off was a bit much. It would've made equal sense for Bobby to re-evaluate her life and decide to start again elsewhere. She was smart as a button and could easily have gone on to university. Bobby taking stock of her life, selling her share in the diner and moving away to do something different with her life would've made sense. Or she and Greg could've moved away with Sam to start again elsewhere. Of course, we'd have been denied that notorious fridge scene. 

I suppose she could have deferred and gone to Uni in 1990 as a new directon following the end of her marriage to Frank. But Bobby probably would have still wound up mixed up with Chris and Geoff and her path may as well have lead her to Sam and Greg, too.

6 hours ago, cymbaline said:

I agree. Either of those situations could have worked though from the sound of it, it sounds like she deserved better than a happy ending with Greg, and she never would have left Sam. I guess they could have reversed it and had Greg die and Bobby and Sam move away, but fewer characters would have cared about the fallout from his death. 

Given how long the characters closest to her - Fisher, Sally, Ailsa, Pippa and Sam - remained in the show after she died, she could have returned several times over the years too.