Storylines that didn't age well

project90

You'd wonder did the lack of returns cross her mind from time to time? She has been open about not getting acting work and how she started doing the books in her husband's business as a result. Long-term it may have worked out best for her because quite a few of the young actors from those early years are no longer in the business. 

When an actor wants out of soap while young, 90% of the time, the killing off is *their* idea (i.e. Kristian Schmid, all of 17 in 1992, when he was done playing Todd on Neighbours after 4.5yrs, he wanted to do other things and by his own admission was playing himself on TV, he suggested being killed off instead of ditching Phoebe with the baby and running back to Adelaide)

3 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

When an actor wants out of soap while young, 90% of the time, the killing off is *their* idea

It definitely happened with Phillip Matheson back in the eighties. I feel like some of the younger characters are killed off because they are "expendable" for the sake of drama (i.e. Stephanie Mboto, Charlotte Adams, Denny Miller, Mason Morgan, Hannah Wilson, Oscar Maguire), but I can understand the actors of some of the more popular characters like Bobby and Neighbours Todd Landers and Kate Ramsay requesting to be killed off. 

• Like 1

Killing bobby in 1993 was just too cruel. she was a very loved character (and actress) with great onscreen connection to many other characters. she was direct and feisty. producers/writers could have put her in a coma for a few years or ship her off overseas. no need to kill her off. dido for Shane and Noah. 

1 hour ago, asafmn said:

Killing bobby in 1993 was just too cruel. she was a very loved character (and actress) with great onscreen connection to many other characters. she was direct and feisty. producers/writers could have put her in a coma for a few years or ship her off overseas. no need to kill her off. dido for Shane and Noah. 

Nicolle asked to be killed off are you suggesting the producers should’ve ignored her feelings and not respected her choice? That’s not okay 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bobby Forever Missed said:

Nicolle asked to be killed off are you suggesting the producers should’ve ignored her feelings and not respected her choice? That’s not okay 

I fully agree with your point here.

Some actors choose to be killed off because, at that point in time, they don't want to have the temptation of going back. I have read a couple of interviews from the time where Nicolle ("Nicky") pretty much says thàt. But she foresaw a long-term acting career (once she'd had kids, which she did within a couple of years of leaving) which sadly never came to fruition. So perhaps she might regret making the kill-off request in hindsight.

Also, let's not forget that death makes drama, even if short-term. Bobby's death (perhaps reinforced by the fridge!) made her even more iconic. I still know so many people, 30 years on, who remember watching the machine being switched off. Again, she likely foresaw that this would help to make Nicolle's brand even more memorable to casting directors of other shows. 

Edited by nenehcherry2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, asafmn said:

The Coma thing can only go so far. Did it with Emily in Brookside but they probably decided to kill her off when Jennifer Ellison made it clear she wanted out. She was languishing for months.

Dieter had really had enough and felt he had outgrown Shane and He and Melissa had pretty much had enough of one another.

Sometimes it's better to burn out than fade away.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

The Coma thing can only go so far. Did it with Emily in Brookside but they probably decided to kill her off when Jennifer Ellison made it clear she wanted out. She was languishing for months.

Dieter had really had enough and felt he had outgrown Shane and He and Melissa had pretty much had enough of one another.

Sometimes it's better to burn out than fade away.

Fully agree. Can't stand long-winded coma stories like Emily Shadwick's.

11 hours ago, nenehcherry2 said:

Some actors choose to be killed off because, at that point in time, they don't want to have the temptation of going back.  

Funnily enough, Emily Symons requested that Marilyn be killed off when she left in 1999, but the producers said no. I'd be curious to know the reasoning there - maybe the producers didn't want Fisher as a single father of a baby or maybe after Bobby, they didn't want to close the door completely. Either way, it worked out well for Emily that the producers didn't go with her request. 

11 hours ago, nenehcherry2 said:

But she foresaw a long-term acting career (once she'd had kids, which she did within a couple of years of leaving) which sadly never came to fruition. So perhaps she might regret making the kill-off request in hindsight.

If Bobby had not killed off, she definitely would have returned at some point. She would have been back for the big events like Sally's weddings, Sally's departure, Steven's wedding (which Carly returned for), the 2002 reunion episodes, episode 4000 and some of the big Ailsa and Fisher related moments too like his wedding to Marilyn, his 2003 exit, Seb being Alan's son and Ailsa's accident in 1999. 

I also would have expected her to be considered for a full-time replacement for Pippa or Sally too, since the producers at the time seemed to care for the show's past. 

• Like 1

On 13/01/2024 at 09:17, nenehcherry2 said:

I fully agree with your point here.

Some actors choose to be killed off because, at that point in time, they don't want to have the temptation of going back. I have read a couple of interviews from the time where Nicolle ("Nicky") pretty much says thàt. But she foresaw a long-term acting career (once she'd had kids, which she did within a couple of years of leaving) which sadly never came to fruition. So perhaps she might regret making the kill-off request in hindsight.

Also, let's not forget that death makes drama, even if short-term. Bobby's death (perhaps reinforced by the fridge!) made her even more iconic. I still know so many people, 30 years on, who remember watching the machine being switched off. Again, she likely foresaw that this would help to make Nicolle's brand even more memorable to casting directors of other shows. 

I always thought she would have been perfect in Neighbours as Bridget and Riley's bio-mum, Joanne Hale.  You know when you think of a character and you've mentally cast the character