Storylines that didn't age well

project90

On 05/06/2023 at 01:20, cymbaline said:

Theirs is a relationship that you could easily see turning abusive, isn't it? I got those vibes from it and it's interesting to see other people thinking along the same lines. It would've been a brave thing in the '90s, having the "love at first sight" relationship between the two main characters taking a sinister turn.

7 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Sorry, Monday. Short fuse. 

But  yeah, she was out there. They probably wanted to give her quick exit without  elaborate  where exactly she was going and didn't confirm for a decade.

Literally have no recollection of Nigeria being mentioned, thanks for sharing this, @CaptainHulk! ? 

Rushed or not, no reason why the 1990 writers couldn't bother to specify a country. Definitely stinks of an "it's all the same" mentality from TPTB. 

10 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

All signs pointed to it in 2000 when she made her first return.

Can't say offhand if Nigeria had previously been mentioned, but Celia was in Tanzania (??) in 2000 - it was the embassy in Dar es Salaam that alerted the office of foreign affairs in Oz when she went missing.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I was watching an episode from 1993 today and there was a storyline where Roxanne wanted to buy a car and wanted to determine herself if it was good enough and worth the money without input from a man. Now of course everyone from Alf to Luke to Shane was trying to ask if she knew this, this and that about cars and she kept repeating that she wanted to be able to buy it on her own. Alf's response to that was telling Luke that "blokes have it hard these days with these modern sheilas" I definitely don't think a comment like that would go down very well in 2023 considering how much more progressive and modern day thinking the average women/girl is now. 

• Sad 1

You mean you can't speak your mind in 2023. I call that regressive and backward, not "progressive and modern". There is nothing good about a man not being able to speak his mind, people are too easily offended these days. You're labelled either a racist, sexist, chauvinist, or misogynist or whatever, if you give an honest opinion these days.

Edited by Old H&A Fan
Let me explain further.....
  • Like 1

Roxanne could be pretty infuriating at times. The car storyline is a case in point. In the real world, it's eminently sensible to bring someone along with you when you're in the market for a second-hand car. Had she never seen The Big Steal? ? There were times when she was so pig-headed just for the sake of it. if they were to do a "where are they now?" about Roxanne, I think we'd find her running some sort of hippy yoga/sculpture retreat, where she sells alternative remedies on the side. She'd still be single and railing against the patriarchy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 22/09/2023 at 19:35, Old H&A Fan said:

You mean you can't speak your mind in 2023. I call that regressive and backward, not "progressive and modern". There is nothing good about a man not being able to speak his mind, people are too easily offended these days. You're labelled either a racist, sexist, chauvinist, or misogynist or whatever, if you give an honest opinion these days.

That's because people still believe that if you're *not* white/male/straight/able-bodied, you're a "lesser being"/"subhuman"/etc to them

Social Media is full bigots who need to be crowdfunded a time machine to F off back to when their attitudes were in  vogue. 

Edited by CaptainHulk

Perhaps sometimes in some cases they do deserve to be called "lesser beings", the way for example as Alf points out, some "modern sheilas" carry on. There is a reason why "virtue-signalling" is frowned upon, Captain Hulk. It may have something to do with how their opinions get in our faces

• Confused 1

Way back in the first season, Lance and/or Martin bored a hole in the wall of the shower block so they could spy on nekkid laydeez in there. My memories of those episodes are fuzzy now but I recall it being treated as something of a comedy story. Predictably, they messed up and had to evade the apoplectic partner of their first victim. 

• Haha 1