2024 Season - UK Episode Discussion

6 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Friday's ep was a snoozer tbh.

Based on previews, things may just pick up.

And yes, Bree was Madam Hypocrite over the bike.

I think this show keeps the more irritating couples together on purpose lol

Bree was ok when she was helping Dana out trying to catch Brontë out now she’s back with Remi I do think why oh why 

I’m not really interested in Perri either 

The River boy stuff is ok but it does feel like they have run out of ideas 

1 hour ago, pembie said:

Bree was ok when she was helping Dana out trying to catch Brontë out now she’s back with Remi I do think why oh why 

I’m not really interested in Perri either 

The River boy stuff is ok but it does feel like they have run out of ideas 

Even some of their die-hard fangirls unfavourably compared them to their forerunners.

Edited by CaptainHulk
  • Haha 1

Tane is new at this mentoring lark but even Harper couldn't have known that the full facts weren't known about why Perri got nicked if it wasn't mentioned on his papers, keeping his dad out of it.  At least Tane looking after someone's else's child is more legal this time, Perri  at 17 can choose where he wants to live, bet his dad won't see it like that.  I can see why Rose would be involved to keep it  on the legal side and make sure Tane isn't breaching any of his conditions.  Perri is very spooked by cops isn't he?   Hopefully Tane rings Mac and gives her the full story as he knows it anyway. 

You do know Red the pill isn't 100% effective don't you?  It can fail for any number of reasons.  Harper knows how Tane feels about family but it's going to be  a big deal for her too, is she ready for a baby?  

I usually like Kirby but even I thought she was OTT, never mind Remi throwing something at her I wanted to.  She definitely needs another interest, write some new songs perhaps.    It was only  a quick flash by so neither Kirbs or Rose could identify Bree but it  did shut down Remi's argument it wasn't him.   Trouble is Remi making up this woman or if is she real Kirby will now want to meet her. No-one knows about Bree and her being Remi's passenger yet do they so no need for the discussion about her change of mind. 

Theo bunking off again though apparently with Justin's blessing. 

• Like 1

Can't get "Hello" by Lionel Richie out of my head because having binged this week episodes, every time there were adverts on My5, they kept showing the Virgin Media one with that song.

Because of Dana, it's becoming harder to watch certain episodes.  Three episodes in a row re her nonsense.  There's no logical reason for forgiving Irene and Harper and not Xander who rescued her.  Even that I can accept, but the childish outbursts and making it all about her was tiresome.  Then again with Xander.  It was debatable whether she owed Xander a conversation but again, that's not my issue.  The problem is the hissy fit behaviour.  Even Irene was starting to get tired with it and when Irene made a reasonable point, Dana accused her of taking Xander's side.  Even asking John if he was part of Xander's fan club when he asked about it.  I actually think Dana did Xander a massive favour finishing with him.  Her behaviour exhibits someone who is quite high maintenance and he's better off without her.

Irene relapsing I guess it's disappointing but realistically highlights the issues people have in that scenario in that they are never fully cured but just have to try and permanently keep the issue under control.  Have to say that seeing her drunk was absolutely wonderful.  She said what she thought to Leah how it was re Justin and called Dana out for her behaviour.  I accept she had to apologise to Dana because they live together but I was hoping she would have waited a little while longer.  Like Harper who also apologised afterwards when called her sister out previously and told her to stop with the pity party, it's a little frustrating that both she and Irene were correct but had to effectively backtrack because of Dana's feelings.

I'm left wondering how long we're going to have this River Boy's storyline.  I don't care about Rory's sob story.  Not sure what to make of Cash's colleague.  Very much just seems like a job to her (Although I find her cynical remarks slightly amusing) and whilst she may have had a point about it being personal with Cash and his eagerness on the first day, he was right about the cop dying.  You would think the authorities would take the death of a police officer very seriously.  And if they suspect the River Boys are behind it, it's very understandable him not wanting his sister to date one of them, especially the head honcho.

Watching Levi attempting to be mates with Tane is kind of cringeworthy.  I know Eden didn't want him there but it's very difficult for him as her brother not to intervene when the River Boys were being difficult at Salt.  Have to say she was unprofessional.  She kind of got herself into that scenario when she offered them free drinks, just to make a point she wanted nothing to do with Levi.  Then afterwards as already mentioned, she left work right in the middle of a shift to make her point again.  Regardless, given how they were at Mali's board shop wanting free surfboards and at Salt, the River Boys are obviously going to become a big problem.

I did find Friday's episode slightly amusing where Bree was trapped with the girls with Kirby wanting an afternoon together and Remi lumbered with Theo, both wanting to get out of it so they could bang each other.  Not sure what to make of Bree getting back on Remi's bike.  I know she did it with Nelson but I thought that was different as he wasn't hospitalised and close to death.

Alf has actually been OK as of late.

Continuity hiccup today.  Theo goes out on his surfboard to rescue Xander and you can clearly see the board is attached to his ankle while he paddles out.  But when he grabs hold of Xander and hauls him back to shore no surfboard in sight and certainly not attached to his ankle.   Same for Xander, could see his board was attached, but when rescued no sign of it.  Yet 2 boards lying in the sand nearby inshot a little later.  

Shame no-one mentioned Harper being so self-absorbed that she drags Dana away from her lifesaving duties right before there's an accident to babble about the mess she's made of her life.It's a shame that Theo's beating himself up too much: I'm not sure there's anything else he could have done in the circumstances, he probably saved Xander's life.Xander demonstrates that ex-paramedics make bad parents, with his mind constantly going to the worst case scenario.I thought it was a nice touch that Rose sent Dana in to Xander: Despite Dana's flaws, Rose knows Xander's happier with her around. I was worried it would backfire but fortunately he accepted it.

Harper actually thought Perri would respond well to sending Rose round? Wow, she actually is inept. ("I'd tell you if I hooked up with some random!"she declares here, as if that's worse than "I hooked up with a technically married man who'd firmly friend-zoned me and only did it because he thought he was going to jail.") I'm not sure Tane could have done more at winning Perri round (although the huge mixed messages he's been giving him didn't help), it seems like Perri still has a strong connection to his dad despite everything.

If Remi and Bree want to keep their relationship on the downlow (which I get the feeling Bree is more keen on than Remi is), they should stop the romantic lunches at work given the high probability one of their friends will be a patient there.

BIG catch up!

Sadly we know Dana going to fold re: Xander which is a shame; I think Irene she forgave because sadly kind people are easy targets, Harper because, in spite of it all, she'd still show up when the chips were down as sisters do. Xander is a different matter because, he did basically at one point say she was the one with the problem because she has trust issues, in other words actively blaming her and then condeming her to others (Salt scene, not sure if it was Bronte or Flick but he basically said ignore her she has problems) so if she forgave him any time they have a disagreement he can play the 'Issues' card which isn't nice.

Re: Harper/pregnancy/Dana, yes contracptives can most definitely fail or either side, the only foolproof one is not doing it, but Dana's immediate reaction did make me giggle. Harper shouldn't tell Tane if she doesn't want to keep it, best he's out of that but if she does, yes I know she wouldn't have to tell him but, call me crazy, think he'd be smart enough to figure out that that's not a basketball she's hiding up her jumper!

Tane and Perri, I've enjoyed the culture scenes, also I can understand Tane's immediate want to keep him safe, a natural reaction to sleeping rough and abuse I think.Yes, Perri's 17 but just because he's classified as an adult doesn't necesarrily mean he has the wherewithall of one, he's still a scared kid really. I don't think he has love or loyalty for his father in the true sense, it's a mixture of fear and the conditioning of subconcious self-loathing, classic abuser's trick. We know Mum isn't around, has it been established yet which kind of 'not around'? His lack of cultral knowledge strikes me that either she was isolated when she married him or, if she is no longer alive, he's barred the whanau. (People do this, it's shocking, just because they want their own way and don't give a care about the child's wants or needs.) Hopefully Tane can help Perri stay safe and also discover his heritage as is his birthright. 

Given Xander's a regular surfer, I think his question was perfectly reasonable about where to surf so Dana should have been more professional rather than biting his head off.  Like Eden last week, she let her emotions get in the way of her job, although I do accept he might have also been using it as an excuse to talk to her.  She was also unprofessional when she went off to support Harper right in the middle of a shift after Harper told her she was pregnant (which I feel was largely driven by Xander annoying her).  That's important because when she came out of the Surf Club onto the beach, Theo had already pulled Xander out the water whilst her colleague was just turning up.  She was lucky that time but on another day if someone was drowning and nobody was there to save them then it's potentially somebody's life.

It seems as though purely because she's butthurt (despite Xander rescuing her), after being adamant she and Xander were finished, she didn't see a future for them, didn't think she could get past this, wasn't sorry and needed to get rid of anything toxic, Dana has now decided that she wants Xander after all.  Yay!  Hooray for being fickle.

I like Bree's role and really like her friendship with Rose.  I think Bree is more sympathetic when providing an updates on patients, unlike Dana's mostly robotic approach but the problem with Bree is if there is something wrong you can normally tell by her facial expression, although she did say to Rose she wouldn't hide anything from her.

So Harper didn't get round to out telling Tane about the pregnancy.  Shame as I'm looking forward to seeing his reaction, although it will be interesting to see Felicity's as well.

The song on the walrus ad is Suddenly. 

Irene was especially  snippy with Dana as she was nursing a hangover even the others wondered why she was so off with her.

I know we've only see two, well three now RB's but pretty sure there must be more of them to cause such terror in one town. 

Pretty sure there would be more than one life guard on duty, it is a pretty long beach so it'd be impossible for just one to keep an eye on what may or not be happening.  Would they have their own patch and it was Dana who abandoned hers?  Besides they can't spot everything  Theo just happened to be in the right place at the right time.  I don't remember Harper  physically dragging Dana away from her post.🤔  Theo must definitely stop beating himself up he did absolutely the right thing, no-one could have known about the other injury Xander had incurred.  Dana for her possible abandonment  of her post, acted very cool, getting Theo to call the ambulance and  calling for the spinal board.  Xander did seem to not to have swallowed much water, didn't see Theo pumping his chest and clearing his airway.

Plus and minus sides of being a medic or ex in his case him plus side him telling Bree not to remove his neck brace as he couldn't feel his legs which he would have encountered before.  But on the minus side like doctors and nurses it seems ex paramedics can be up there with being the worse patients, hassling Bree for an update.  Obviously there were no bones broken the scan would have shown that up, but if muscle or tissue damage/swelling it wouldn't they're not that clever - yet.  The muscles/tissues just need to go down.  Dana, even if it was because of her eavesdropping, was able to update the rest of them what was occurring and didn't sugar coat it but kept it professional.  The old "I don't want to know him/her" speeches do sometimes collapse when push comes to shove as it has with Dana/Xander. He did initially tell her to do one but had time to think along with a gentle nudge from Rose.  

Harper did get side tracked twice with telling Tane her/their(?) news, first off he was going looking for Perri, second was when she went to the hospital with Dana and Xander.  She will have to pick her moment, he's got  a lot on with Perri  and  is having to negotiate his way round his problems.  I had to chuckle about the 'random' comment from Dana, it so isn't her style.  OK yes Tane is still legally married, but she does know him  and she could have backed away.  She does owe it to him if she decides to keep the baby but they are hardly in the best situation to raise  a child, friends yes but not a couple as such. Harper does have  a few months left before she has to hide behind desks, sofas, big handbags.😃

Perri may not like what his dad does and expects him to do, but he has probably had years of 'brainwashing' from him but now he is seeing things more clearer and able to make his own mind up.  Tane rightly, I think, apologised for not warning Perri before Rose turned up.   Do we know where Perri - and his dad - live? 

No spoilers as it was seen in the promo Levi and Eden's dad pitches up.  

Edited by H&Alover