Why are characters staying on show longer this days?.

12 hours ago, James Martin said:

I agree there needs to be a better succession plan. Ray is 80, Lynne is 71.  It's not unreasonable to believe both will be taking serious thoughts about retirement soon.  Ada and Georgie play this generation's stalwart characters, but let's remember Leah started as a young adult and slowly evolved into the position she occupies within the show today.  It's accepted the cast has a very high turnover, but it needs those long serving characters amongst the overall cast for the format to really work.

I can't see Georgie sticking around for too if Ray leaves. She clearly enjoys H and A, the cast and the flexibility with her time off but it feels to me, she's loyal to Ray and the fans. I imagine if he leaves, she'll naturally be wanting more and more time off till she decides it's better for Roo to move on.

Georgie Parker has said in the past she isn't going to leave while Ray Meagher is still around: https://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/home-and-away-exclusive-georgie-parker-reveals-exit-plans-034813096.html

If or how long she stays beyond that is anyone guess, but I suspect she'd probably move on within a year or two. We might be wrong. She does also love working with Emily Symons, and as Georgie says, H&A gives her the flexibility to pursue theatre roles. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Raintheone said:

I like the idea of them tempting Dean and Ziggy back to become the next gen of stalwarts. 

It's a shame them and Ryder left. They'd have been the next generation of stalwarts I think.

I know these characters weren't doing much, but I do feel like the writers "give up" on characters if they know they are leaving or they get shiny new characters to play with. Dean and Ziggy were once central characters, but pretty much sidelined (along with Nikau) once Felicity, Cash and Lyrik came along. It's like the writers don't know how to balance new characters with the  characters who've been around for 2-3 years, and eventually these actors either leave because they want something more challenging or they are written out at the end of their contracts.

Again, it comes down to the writers moreso than the characters or actors. Mackenzie for example, could have been the next Leah, but instead she's not really developed at all in the last 5 years. With her owning Salt, she could have been a constant at that meeting place, as Irene and Leah have been with the Diner. Instead, she'll probably still be making disastrous life choices in 5 years time if the same writers are still around. Others with potential (I.e. Dean and Ziggy) the writers ultimately become bored with once new characters come along.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2024 at 06:25, adam436 said:

It's a shame them and Ryder left. They'd have been the next generation of stalwarts I think.

I know these characters weren't doing much, but I do feel like the writers "give up" on characters if they know they are leaving or they get shiny new characters to play with. Dean and Ziggy were once central characters, but pretty much sidelined (along with Nikau) once Felicity, Cash and Lyrik came along. It's like the writers don't know how to balance new characters with the  characters who've been around for 2-3 years, and eventually these actors either leave because they want something more challenging or they are written out at the end of their contracts.

Again, it comes down to the writers moreso than the characters or actors. Mackenzie for example, could have been the next Leah, but instead she's not really developed at all in the last 5 years. With her owning Salt, she could have been a constant at that meeting place, as Irene and Leah have been with the Diner. Instead, she'll probably still be making disastrous life choices in 5 years time if the same writers are still around. Others with potential (I.e. Dean and Ziggy) the writers ultimately become bored with once new characters come along.

I just don’t think Mackenzie likeable enough to be new Leah. 

As Leah always be mostly likeable character and times when she had shown more harshness side around early 2017 you could understand why’s she was  being cold with her son just losing his wife and her husband cheated on her and her best friend betrayed her and her Forster son suddenly leaving and new family arriving trying to take over her business and finding out her step son burnt down her house of nearly 15 years. 

• Like 1