The pictures in the Fletcher Household

Anyone know who the Victorian looking people are, in the photo's on the Fletcher's wall. I'm watching 1990 but presumably they were up on the wall the whole time that Pippa lived there. They look like her or Tom's ancestor. Were they ever referenced. Sorry I don't have a screen shot of it, at the moment. Hopefully you know what i'm talking about

Shots of that wall are pretty elusive when you're in search of a screenshot, aren't they? I don't remember anybody ever mentioning them - they just seem to have always been there. It's the photos which seemed to get the attention. Did Pippa or Tom come from families who were wealthy enough to have portraits painted? 

pippa-pic.jpg%22%20alt=%22pippa-pic%22%2

• Like 1

Well done for finding a shot of them!

I don't know too much about Tom and Pippa's family background. Their house in Sydney, in the Pilot before they moved to the bay, didn't seem that grand and they certainly weren't monied were they. In fact they always had money troubles on the show. So if there was money in the family it either went down another family branch or was lost years before. 

I love family history so as an adult i'm now finding this detail of the set fascinating. Australian family history is also very interesting because its much newer than UK family history. Its interesting reading about the family history of Alf's family and how they established the town etc which was the focus on the early 00s anniversary episodes. 

I suppose the pictures were just stuck up by the set department to heighten the family focus the Fletcher's had, with no thought to the background of them which is a shame. A nice touch though

• Like 1

Searching for a screenshot of anything along that wall certainly gave me an insight into camera angles in that house! I think they were just generic paintings the art department picked up somewhere. I don't know the first thing about set design but I reckon they put those portraits on the wall so that they'd contrast with the landscape painting of Summer Bay that's just beside them. They were also a bit old-fashioned, as was the house. So as you said, a nice touch. 

I never heard it mentioned either but it wouldn't be the first time they forgot details like that. Or that once one person misremembers something from the pre-internet age, it keeps being replicated and becomes fact. 

We were never told much about the family backgrounds of Tom (or Michael for that matter), were we? They existed in the here and now and were mostly foils for Pippa and the foster kids. In contrast, we learned more about the Stewarts, Ailsa and even Fisher.

• Like 1