Next Gen

beachside

Story Title: Next Gen
Type of story: Medium/Long
Main Characters: Leah Patterson Baker,Justin Morgan ,Irene Roberts, Alf  Stewart ,Ella Hunter,Summer Rose Turner, Noah Hunter, Abby Fowler,Mackenzie Booth, Levi Fowler + my own character Emma Baker
BTTB rating: T
Genre: Romance, Drama
Does story include spoilers:  No
Any warnings: N/A
Summary : When children of past residents turn up on the door steps of Leah,Alf and Irene follow their lives in the bay where their parents grew up, met or fell in love.

"Hello, can I help you?" Marilyn says, greeting a young girl who has just arrived at the Diner.

"Is Leah Patterson-Baker here?" the blonde-haired girl asks.

"Uh, speaking of her, it looks like she and her husband have just walked in."

"Hey Maz."

"Hey, Justin. Leah," Marilyn greets the pair, then informs Leah, "This young girl here was just asking for you." She signals for the girl to come over, who had just stepped away for a moment to give Justin and Leah space as they walked in.

"Oh my god, Em," Leah says, recognising the girl as soon as she approaches the counter.

"It's Emma. Dad is the only one who gets to call me Em these days," Emma tells her, then hugs her.

"You know her?" Justin asks as Leah and Emma continue hugging.

"Of course I do, she's my niece."

"Your niece? Alexi's kid?"

"No, not Alexi's kid. She's Peter and Amanda's daughter."

"Peter? You mean the guy you had feelings for despite being with his brother," Justin says bitterly.

"Yeah, but Aunty Leah and Dad moved past that. You must be Justin; I’ve heard about you from VJ when he came to visit."

"Oh, sorry, Justin. This is Emma, and Emma, this is Justin, my husband."

"Nice to meet you, Emma. How long are you in town for?" Justin asks.

"Not sure. I was kind of hoping I could stay for a while," Emma replies.

"Oh, really? Is everything okay at home?"

"Yeah, Aunty Leah just thinks Mum and I could use some space away from one another for a while."

"Why's that?" Justin inquires.

"Justin, that's enough. I trust Emma's judgment. If she thinks she and Amanda need some space, then I understand, and I'm happy to have her stay."

"Thanks Aunty Leah."

"Of course, but you do have to call your dad and let him know you're here."

"I will."

"How is your Dad?"

"Yeah, he's good—really good, in fact. He's busy, though, between being a senior detective and Mum. That's another reason I think it's a good thing I stay here," Emma tells Leah, giving her an update on Peter.

"Coming!" Irene yells as there is a knock on the door at the beach house, walking over to answer it.

"Hi, Irene," a nineteen-year-old boy and an eighteen-year-old girl greet her.

"Oh my godfather! Noah and Ella Hunter, do your parents know you're here?"

"Yeah they do."

"Well come on in."

"Thanks," Ella replies as she and Noah both bring their bags inside.

"So, tell me, what are you guys doing here?" Irene asks as they all sit on the couch.

"Well, I've enrolled in uni here," Noah replies.

"And my parents enrolled me in Summer Bay High because I want to finish school where they did."

"Right, and before you ask, yes, you guys can stay here," Irene tells them both, breathing a sigh of relief.

"Dad, you're back! How was Thailand?" Roo says, greeting Alf as she arrives home from work.

"It was good."

"I'm glad. How's Sally?" Roo asks as a sixteen year old girl walks down the stairs.

"Sorry to interrupt Mr Stewart but I am going to head out for a walk. Uh hello." The girl tells Alf and greets Roo.

"All good, Summer. By the way, Roo, this is Summer; she's going to be staying with us for a while."

"Nice to meet you Summer."

"You too Roo." Summer says before heading out for her walk.

"So, who is she, Dad?"

"She's Cassie's daughter, and she wanted to come to where her mum grew up and met her foster parents," Alf explains. Roo just nods, as she doesn't know who Cassie is.