What scenes/storylines are harder to rewatch because of what you know now?

cymbaline

Off the top of my head, here are a few which are harder to watch because of events in real life or on Home and Away itself

• Bobby and Alan. We didn't know they were half-siblings at the time, so their closeness is a bit like The Empire Strikes Back when Luke Skywalker kisses his own sister
  • Blake and Meg. I find a lot of this hard to watch because it's a bit too close to the bone. Cathy Godbold was later diagnosed with cancer and died young.
  • Pippa tells Michael she's pregnant. The two are overjoyed at having their very own baby but we all know what lies ahead for baby Dale.
  • Carly and Ben's marriage. In hindsight it's hard to watch this and to think that Carly is going to have a nice life with Ben.
  • Thanks 1

Michael's proposal to Pippa is full of foreshadowing, whether that was intentional or unintentional. First, he nearly drowned and that put the idea of proposing to Pippa into his mind. Then in the lead-up to his asking her to marry him for the second time, he says he can't guarantee that something terrible won't happen to him. He also promises he'll never leave her. As we know now, he did leave her for a while and that water is what brought their relationship to an abrupt end.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cymbaline said:

Off the top of my head, here are a few which are harder to watch because of events in real life or on Home and Away itself

• Carly and Ben's marriage. In hindsight it's hard to watch this and to think that Carly is going to have a nice life with Ben.

This is what makes me so cross about the Ben sux Carly affair. They started doing it only like 7 episodes after he arrived in the Bay as a random stranger, and to think they are still together TODAY, like 30+ years later, is simply unrealistic.🤬

On 06/10/2024 at 17:36, cymbaline said:

• Bobby and Alan. We didn't know they were half-siblings at the time, so their closeness is a bit like The Empire Strikes Back when Luke Skywalker kisses his own sister.

I'm just imagining Don saying all of Vader's lines right now and actually cutting off Alan's hand (He had a habit of pushing buttons🤣)

Edited by CaptainHulk

On 07/10/2024 at 09:35, Old H&A Fan said:

This is what makes me so cross about the Ben sux Carly affair. They started doing it only like 7 episodes after he arrived in the Bay as a random stranger, and to think they are still together TODAY, like 30+ years later, is simply unrealistic.🤬

Easy, don't blow a gasket now. 

You seem to have an axe to grind with a lot of the 20-something males in TEY.

4 hours ago, CaptainHulk said:

Easy, don't blow a gasket now. 

You seem to have an axe to grind with a lot of the 20-something males in TEY.

My "axe to grind", Captain Hulk, is about the deluded belief about a couple "knowing" they are "right" for each other so quickly after they "first meet".

Tell me something🤔: Is your mindset about suspension of disbelief when it comes to how "couples" on the show magically find each other, and live on "happily ever after" like in the fairy tales?

17 hours ago, Old H&A Fan said:

My "axe to grind", Captain Hulk, is about the deluded belief about a couple "knowing" they are "right" for each other so quickly after they "first meet".

Tell me something🤔: Is your mindset about suspension of disbelief when it comes to how "couples" on the show magically find each other, and live on "happily ever after" like in the fairy tales?

Some people don't get happy afters (Will and Gypsy sure as hell didn't, nor did Alex Poulos and Brodie Hanson and a few others and Frank and Roo collapsed within two years off screen)

It is possible for people to have long marriages and be happy (some forum members have folks who've been together Donkey's years)

There are some things in soaps and in life where you just have to go "Ah, Eff it. " and roll with it. At least they didn't meet  in a Kebab queue and shoot off on a cruise together and pretty much marry within weeks ala Vincent Hubbard and Kim Fox on EastEnders😂

Edited by CaptainHulk
  • Haha 1

On a more light-hearted note, when they brought Lucinda in. You know that most of her future will involve fighting with or sleeping with Nick, then Ryan, then Nick again, then Ryan. Rinse and repeat until everybody loses the will to live and stops caring who she chooses.