Best and Worst use of music in ‘Home And Away’

BEST 

Episode 1707 - ‘When Will You Fall For Me’ by Vika & Linda, when Shannon is getting ‘dolled up’ before heading to Shane’s house to try and seduce him.

Works really well for a teenage girl having an unrequited crush. Trust me, it’ll all end in tears.

WORST

Episode 1880 - ‘Dangerous Game’ by Kylie, when Angel scatters Shane’s ashes in the sea. 

For me, it just doesn’t work - too ‘slinky’ and overdramatic for a scene that’s supposed to be very moving. Maybe something more plaintive and melancholic, along the lines of ‘Throw Your Arms Around Me’. And why was Damien roaming the spot where Shane collapsed like a detective trying to solve a murder? Cut his finger, no spleen…case closed!

What are your personal best and worst uses of music?

I'm not from Australia so I have no idea who most of the performers of the songs are. Still, I think the use of Archie Roach's "Walking into Doors" during the climax of Donna's domestic violence storyline was superb. 

Mike Perjanik's underscores are what I mostly associate with Home and Away. Even though there were plenty of times when the music seemed to be a bit much, I can't imagine old Home and Away without them. 

• Like 4